The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark search twitter facebook feed linkedin instagram google-plus avvo phone envelope checkmark mail-reply spinner error close
Skip to main content

Massachusetts law requires drivers to purchase a minimum insurance policy of $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident. Often this coverage is insufficient to cover even medical expenses related to the collision. A little known aspect of auto insurance law is U coverage…

U policies, or policies covering motor vehicle collisions where the party at fault has either no insurance or not enough insurance (Uninsured/Underinsured) may provide coverage in an accident.

First, you can buy your own U coverage. Inquire with your insurance agent for rates and limitations; however, generally speaking, U coverage is inexpensive and may be purchased in an amount less than or equal to your liability coverage. In other words, if you have a liability policy of $100,000 per person, you can buy coverage for yourself up to $100,000. This may cover you even if you are not driving the insured car when you were injured, such as if you were a pedestrian or riding a bike.

Next, if you’ve already been in an accident with a person without insurance or without enough insurance coverage and you don’t personally have insurance, if a person in your household has a U policy, it may cover your accident and injuries as well. The law is somewhat complex, you should consult with a lawyer. But for added protection, a U policy may be a good choice for you in Massachusetts.

Comments are closed.

Of Interest